What is Marma
A marma is a vital energy point located on the surface of the body. Like modern quantum physics, Ayurveda holds that the human being is not a solid, stable, material structure but an ever-changing, dynamic collection of energy and intelligence in the larger field of the universe. Ayurveda texts have described 117 major marmani, which are infused with prana, the life force, and imbued with consciousness. Marmani serve as a bridge or doorway between the body, mind, and soul.
Marmani are normally located at anatomical sites where veins, arteries, tendons, bones or joints intersect. Most of them correspond to principal acupoints in Chinese medicine. Truth is that we still don’t know very well how marmani work nor how they were discovered; but what we know is that they have been used by thousands of Ayurvedic clinicians for many centuries and are still being used with significant healing results.
Pain or tenderness at the side of the marma is the body’s way of conveying that there is some weakness, impurity or imbalance in the aspect of the body associated with that marma point. Pressure applied to the marma kindles dhatu agni (tissue fire), burns ama (toxins), and breaks down crystals of unresolved emotions. A marma session is one of Ayurveda’s most effective methods for both physical and mental stress management.
About Marma Massage Therapy
Marma therapy is the precise art of touching an individual in exactly the right place at a critical moment in time, for the purpose of healing.
Marma therapy may be used to:
- Reduce stress
- Pacify or stimulate a dosha depending on the imbalance.
- Maintain tissue’s normal functions and treat specific disorders in terms of immunity, vitality, strength, lubrication, support, coordination or sexual energy.
- Regulate channel functions and disturbances such as overflow and stagnation.
- Stimulate pranic flow to weak organs, increasing energy and relieving organ stress
- Alleviate pain by increasing the flow of prana
- Calm the mind and release unexpressed or unresolved emotions
- Activate the energy of a corresponding chakra